Thursday, January 13, 2011

Committees Begin Meeting, River Trail Dollars, Curbing Teen Smoking

Committees for the Ingham County Commission start meeting tonight, with the Law Enforcement and Judiciary Committees meeting. My committees start next week (County Services and Finance) and we already have a bunch on the agenda. If you want to see the agendas, you can go to www.ingham.org. In the meantime, I have a few other exciting things to report this week.

Over the last week, the Lansing State Journal has reported on Ingham County's youth smoking prevention policy. This was created before I was on the Board, but we have made improvements and updates. We have been criticized in the past for being one of the few counties to have such a policy, but these articles show that we are making great strides in curbing teen smoking. I am proud that we have taken this initiative, and it is working out! Check out the article here, and check out the LSJ op-ed discussing how good this policy is here.

And now, a shameless plug for Lansing and the River Trail...

Keep Learning, a local coalition of schools, universities, and businesses, is in the running to win $50K to create more learning opportunities along mid-Michigan's awesome River Trail. It's a competition in which you can vote DAILY in multiple fashions. Please vote as well as help spread the word to your friends!

There are three ways TO VOTE:
1. Go to http://www.refresheverything.com/keeplearning and login.
2. TEXT 105421 to the word Pepsi (73774).
3. Use the Pepsi Refresh Voting App on Facebook to search "Keep Learning" and vote.

Thanks, Jen, for sending this my way and for advocating on behalf of Lansing. Winning this grant will be one more way to show that Lansing is awesome and that we Love Lansing!

I know this blog is short, but I am at gymnastics with my daughter and am enjoying watching her! Next week, I will have lots to report on. This is just the beginning of a very busy year!

Andy

Reminder: if you receive notification of my blog through my facebook group "Andy Schor, Ingham County Commissioner," you should sign up for my facebook fan page at www.facebook.com/andyschor.

No comments:

Post a Comment